PF2 Herolab Online to Foundry VTT Converter

This board is for announcements regarding Pathfinder Society Organized Play updates
slate
Venture Captain
Name: Zach
PFS Number: 883
GM Stars: 3
GM Glyphs: 4
GM Novas: 1
Discord: slate_.

PF2 Herolab Online to Foundry VTT Converter

Post by slate » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Hello all! I know many of you use Herolab Online for your character management needs. Recently, they released the ability to export characters. Over the long weekend, I wrote a converter tool to help bring your HLO characters to Foundry Virtual Tabletop. If you use both of these, please check it out at https://www.pf2player.com/. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you run into any bugs or issues.

Side note: In the past I had used roll20 and determined I wasn't a big fan of online play. But during the start of the shift to online gaming, I decided to give it a try again. My feelings were confirmed -- I really dislike virtual tabletops... or so I thought. I discovered Foundry and decided to give it a shot. I dropped the $50 one time license fee and began to tinker with it. As a tech guy who lives in systems all day long, it was easy for me to figure out and get the hang of. Additionally, there's no cost to use it outside of the $50 one time fee, which is only paid if you're running your own server (GMs). Since then, I've been using Foundry for a home game, trying out free add-ons and the like, and recently joined the Pathfinder 2e game system development team in an associate sort of role. Foundry is light years ahead of roll20, with its flexibility, countless free extensions and DIY feel. I've changed from hating VTTs to realizing my hate was of roll20, not VTTs. For GMs, it has all the PF bestiaries built in (even PFS unique creatures), which makes building scenarios a breeze. There's even a tool that imports many Adventures, Adventure Paths and PFS scenarios directly into the game, so you don't need to do all the work of making the map, creating each bad guy in every tier and so on. I urge you to give it a try if you haven't! Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to try a quick quest/bounty in it to see how it works. Or check out there demo: https://foundryvtt.com/
Last edited by slate on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lochinvar_1971
Seeker
Name: Richard Bannister
PFS Number: 160719
GM Stars: 4

Re: PF2 Herolab Online to Foundry VTT Converter

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:23 pm

I too have chosen Foundry VTT as my Virtual Tabletop. I have run a couple of bounties on it and so far my only complaint is not a Foundry issue, but an issue with importing in Pathfinder maps. I've done quite a bit of research and have found that the squares are not square, which causes issues on the grid. Aside from that, the functionality was fantastic, as you mentioned almost all scenarios had the bestiary already converted.

I do have one other question. How do you imbed rolls in say a Hazard Description. I see it can be done, I just can't figure out how.
--Richard
--Venture Lieutenant- Colorado Springs, Colorado
PFS # 160719
GM stars:****
GM Glyphs: ****

Enchanted Realms - Colorado Springs

slate
Venture Captain

Post by slate » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:51 am

two left square brackets /r 1d8 two right square brackets

Code: Select all

[[/r 1d8]]

slate
Venture Captain

Post by slate » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:52 am

lochinvar_1971 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:23 pm an issue with importing in Pathfinder maps. I've done quite a bit of research and have found that the squares are not square, which causes issues on the grid.
Totally. Paizo is great at making non-square squares :P This has gotten better over time, and I think they're making a big push to fix that going forward, with all the online gaming going on.