ANNOUNCING - Highlands Ranch - Enchanted Grounds - February 2016 PFS

Moderators: Drogon, Lord_Pretzels, slate

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Re: ANNOUNCING - Highlands Ranch - Enchanted Grounds - February 2016 PFS

Post by Drogon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:00 am

Prethen wrote: Remember the good ol' days at EG when all PFS tables would fill the moment you posted the games! What the hell happened?!
Yeah, and I miss them. Lots of those players who filled those tables aren't playing Pathfinder any longer. A handful of them moved on to D&D, others to Star Wars, and others to home games. The issue we are having right now is recruitment problems; the overwhelming number of books is a huge barrier to entry. Many of them are interested in Core, but without veterans joining that version of the game, I am having the same difficulty getting those going as well.

Essentially: too many options (be it games, or books, or campaign choices)

Prethen
Rookie Field Agent

Post by Prethen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 am

Drogon wrote:
Prethen wrote: Remember the good ol' days at EG when all PFS tables would fill the moment you posted the games! What the hell happened?!
Yeah, and I miss them. Lots of those players who filled those tables aren't playing Pathfinder any longer. A handful of them moved on to D&D, others to Star Wars, and others to home games. The issue we are having right now is recruitment problems; the overwhelming number of books is a huge barrier to entry. Many of them are interested in Core, but without veterans joining that version of the game, I am having the same difficulty getting those going as well.

Essentially: too many options (be it games, or books, or campaign choices)
Is the answer to switch the store to Core? Maybe have a single slot (or maybe a certain day...like one of the two Mondays) in Normal mode? Just throwing things out there. I'm fine with Normal mode. I fully agree about source book overload, though. Personally, I pick the ones I like and try to get maximum value out of those.

On an anecdotal dote, I recently posted a choice to players for an online time slot of #6-01 (Trial By Machine), either Core or Normal campaign mode. The players overwhelmingly choose Core and that's the table that I'll run.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 am

Switching the store to Core would drive off all the players who are playing regularly. They like their options.

You are getting Core requests online because those guys have played everything available in normal mode. If you post the same question for the adventures that are coming out on the 24th I'll bet you see the reverse response.

Amazingred
Newly Confirmed Agent

Post by Amazingred » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Drogon wrote: Switching the store to Core would drive off all the players who are playing regularly. They like their options.

You are getting Core requests online because those guys have played everything available in normal mode. If you post the same question for the adventures that are coming out on the 24th I'll bet you see the reverse response.
This. I like standard mode. I don't want to play a different version of the campaign that is exactly the same except more restrictions.

CDragos
Store Coordinator
Name: Christian
PFS Number: 17148
GM Stars: 4
GM Glyphs: 1

Post by CDragos » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm perfectly content with one EG doing Standard and the other doing Core.
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Tangaroa wrote: It would be nice if they had other official campaigns that varied from Pathfinder Society.  Also, campaigns that tap more local leadership and writers in a meaningful way.  Yes, I know this are many arguments against such things, and this may not be the proper fora for a detailed discussion.  People, at their core, enjoy a certain amount of novelty that PF and PFS sometimes fail to provide.
This is what 5th Edition is doing with the DM's Guild, launching next month. That campaign (D&D Adventurer's League) is largely where players went when they stopped playing PFS. I must admit I am concerned that the result of that type of "novelty" will actually negatively impact the player base. We were getting as many as 40 people on a Wednesday night for Encounters. I suspect that number will shrink with the new structure.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Updated.

Please note that the Saturday afternoon Ironbound Schism table has been canceled.

CDragos
Store Coordinator

Post by CDragos » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:34 pm

I no longer play or keep track of what's going on with D&D so, what are they planning on doing with DM's Guild? Are they going to offer organized play in various settings? Planescape & Dark Sun organized play?
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Nothing that loose, I'm afraid.

The DM's Guild is basically an open-author call. Anyone can write and publish content for the DDAL, under the auspices of the 5E Open Game License. Modules for DDAL can be two or four hour adventures (or more, I'm sure), and everything will be available on DriveThruRPG. Everything will have a price tag, now (they were distributed to GMs for free up until now). The setting is Forgotten Realms.

CDragos
Store Coordinator

Post by CDragos » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Yep. Just looked it up. Very interesting.
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver