GM Notes for 22 March Table 1

Moderators: slate, Kyphexler

dpatt1111

GM Notes for 22 March Table 1

Post by dpatt1111 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:56 am

Hello to the players at 22 March Table 1 (noon to 4 p.m.)
"Master of the Fallen Fortress"

I hope we can get some fresh PFS players to this game, because it is an ideal game for first-time players.

If you would, please, speak up if you are a new player and we can be very helpful in how to build a very capable hero.

A little brief background about the setting:
This adventure takes place just outside the city of Absolom itself (a.k.a., the city at the center of the world), the city where (not coincidentally) the Grand Lodge of the Pathfinder Society itself resides.

Perhaps your character is already in the Pathfinder Society as a commissioned explorer, and this is your first mission.  Perhaps you have heard of the Pathfinder Society and wish to prove yourself, so you've found yourself in Absolom at this unique and unexpected moment. 

Whatever background you'd like to set up for your character, think of how you found your way to Absolom, and I will take the adventure from there when I see you on 22 March at noon.

If you ARE a new player, please speak out.  I'd love to help you with character questions, design questions, and about the Pathfinder Society and organized Pathfinder Society play.

My name is Dane Patterson, and I'm here to help everuyone have a good time.

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803
GM Stars: 5
GM Glyphs: 1

Re: GM Notes for 22 March Table 1

Post by Russ Brown » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 am

Awesome Dane.  Thanks for posting this thread.

I will start by posting a link to the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play. This provides some background and the rules on how to make a society character.
Last edited by Russ Brown on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Brown

LuchadorSupremo
Initiate of the Society

Post by LuchadorSupremo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi Dane

Thanks for posting this! Like I said in the game sign-up thread, I'm not entirely new to PFS, having played in several low level home games, but this will be my first foray into organized play.

I haven't worked out back story for my character yet, but wanted to post my build so far. I'm not incredibly into super optimizing, but want a well rounded character to play that's hopefully helpful to the group.

Here's my build so far:

Name: Harbek IronBrow
Race: Dwarf
Alignment: LN
Faction: The Grand Lodge
Favored Class: Ranger - HP

Hp: 13
AC: 16
Touch: 12
CMB: 4
CMD: 16
BAB: 1

Fort: 4
Ref: 4
Will: 2

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

Feats
Level 1: Power Attack

Equipment

Dwarven Waraxe
Short bow

Armored Coat

The idea is to take the Archery combat style line of feats and run him as a switch hitter, depending on the makeup of the party and the situation we find ourselves in. I haven't allocated skills or traits yet, when I have a little more time to sit down with the character I'll do that.

Any thoughts? How'd I do?

Thanks!

dpatt1111

Post by dpatt1111 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I like your stats, overall.
You've got to consider, as an archery style ranger, what feats are most important to you.  At level 2, you'll take one of the big 3: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and possibly Rapid Shot.  Power Attack for this character could indeed lend you good versatility.  The big one for archery class is probably Precise Shot, which you can take at level 2.  Pretty good choices.

For PFS, you want to focus on at least one knowledge class skill, on perception, and on one of diplomacy/bluff/intimidate (and these will be your weakest skills given your charisma, so maybe skip it).  Then add some damage capability and you're set.  You look pretty well set.

Try to find a Trait that gives you a bonus to something I mentioned above.  Rangers are useful with high perception.  Skills you will use rarely if ever include animal handling and ride.

You don't need to worry too much about your background for a PFS game, and in particular for this module.  You will be in Absolom, and we can go one of two ways: Do you want to be an existing Pathfinder Agent, or do you want to be an aspiring Pathfinder Agent?  For all we know, since you're a Grand Lodge faction, you may be a native of Absolom.  It won't have much impact except in how you choose to roleplay your character.

Stay in touch.  I will have more to post as we get closer to the game.

Oh, it would be very much in your best interests to create a Paizo account and to obtain your own Pathfinder ID Number (and bring it to the game! Which I bring up because I forgot mine for my first game).

I would also like to hear from the others, veteran or new, who are registered for Master of the Fallen Fortress.  If we can get in touch before-hand, I can have much of the paperwork ready (for character records and adventure credit) before I arrive.  That saves us time to game with :)

Dane

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803
GM Stars: 5
GM Glyphs: 1

Post by Russ Brown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I will just point out that if you will eventually get an animal companion then you will need ranks in handle animal.

Also Master of the Fallen Fortress assumes that characters are not yet Pathfinder Agents and introduces them to the Society during the game session, BTW. Not that it will matter if your character already has an XP or 2.
Last edited by Russ Brown on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Brown