Doomsday Dawn Playtest Module

Moderators: MoffRimmer, jbane, lochinvar_1971

greyblade23
Rookie Field Agent

Re: Doomsday Dawn Playtest Module

Post by greyblade23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I understand the desire to be fully prepared, but in my opinion it is far too early to determine this. Conservatively it will take up a minimum of 8 weeks to reach the start of this chapter. Many things beyond our control might affect party composition (work, illness, needed at O.J.'s table, etc.). If we are not at a full table, we will not have some of the items. Frankly (again in my opinion), under the assumption that our characters have been a team for many adventures (or at least familiar with each other), I don't think first-come first-served is the best way to allocate items.

Instead of trying to lock in our selections, I propose an alternative and I would encourage O.J.'s team to do this as well. First, as far as possible, we should all try to follow the "magic items pattern" (one 11th level, two 10th level, one 9th level, ans two 8th level), although I admit I haven't examined the items in detail. All of us should show up for the first session of this chapter with a list of our first, second, and third choices. After that, about 5 minutes of horse trading should get us all at least some of our first choice items.

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent
Name: Sir.Bearington
GM Stars: 3

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm

I will disagree with you completely. It is never to early to be fully prepared. We have already seen how long these an potentially take. So being prepared ahead of time is 100% way to go. That is why I created the table and why we have this form. To communicate and talk about things such as. It is very easy for me to edit my post and update. I don't want to be spending any game time to sort out items when we have the means to do so. If you want to change your mind then simply state so and we can update the table. I actually enjoy doing that.

Also this chapter very specifically calls for certain things, that don't follow the rest. Hence why I created that table. I can easily add more columns to accommodate 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices. This way when we show up we can hit the ground running. We are already on a limited time. I am not wasting time so we can wait to try and "horse trade" at the last minute.

Micheal Smith

greyblade23
Rookie Field Agent

Post by greyblade23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 pm

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't unnecessarily waste table time. By way of comparison however: our Saturday group at Petrie's is several chapters ahead. We've found that we can finish a chapter in about 8 hours and 30 minutes, including a 20 to 30-minute lunch break and at least 10 minutes of setup time. I see no reason why our Wednesday group shouldn't be able to do the same.

I am also an aficionado of spreadsheets, but I think a spreadsheet encompassing all possible table combinations would overwhelm most people (it would certain overwhelm me). Even if our table distributes the items ahead of time, if a player is absent from our table, or we need to move players between tables, we'll face two choices: leave the items behind or re-distribute them at the table.

Anyway, that's my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation).

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 pm

That is part of the problem, when you play at Petrie's you have MORE time to play. We have 4 hours slotted for Enchanted Realms to play at night. So 10 minutes of setup time is WAY TOO MUCH time. When you include announcements (Which should happen before 6), that eats into play time. When we have to stop play because of a rules issue or to look up the rules then that eats in to playtime. That cuts out playtime, so any ways we can MAXIMIZE play time we will.

If you don't want to use these forums then by all means don't use them, but please don't hamper anyone else because you choose not to. We (Richard's table) have chosen to use this as our way of communicating and additional set up time. If someone can't make it then we can adjust at that time.

When we set this table up we had every intent of the same players playing from start to finish. If someone needs to drop out then so be. If someone is sitting out table they will be at the table again and will not move tables. We are treating this very much like a home campaign.

Again we have chosen to do this, if you don't like it don't use it, but again do not expect us to sit at the table and distribute things because you failed to use this forum.
Micheal Smith

Sir.Gryphon
Seeker
Name: Sir.Gryphon (Randy)
PFS Number: 47387
GM Stars: 4
GM Novas: 1

Post by Sir.Gryphon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 am

I appreciate the dialog, but in the end this is a game that is in development and the choices made before or after the game are ultimately inconsequential except in the form of feedback for the game developers.

True, time is tight at Enchanted Realms and the store is extremely accommodating for our games, but in the end it is the GM who is running the game that must manage the duration of the game v.s. pre-session player prep v.s. side conversations. Most GMs are good at this but the complication of an unfamiliar system can slow down game play a lot. I have tried to keep announcements to 10 minutes or less (usually far less) and I try to make announcements by visiting each table so other tables can start while I make my rounds. Every bit helps.

All that having been said, this is a game and it is meant to be fun. If it is not fun anymore then why are we doing it?
Pathfinder #47387
Venture Captain for Southern Colorado

GM for the "Lemming Leap" 2017...
Hugger of molten guardians, GalaxyFest 2018

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:58 pm

So there is a new update to the rules:

Link: http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sg8r?On-the-Road-to-Sombrefell-Hall

The biggest udate is signature skills have been removed. Now you can obtain Master and Legendary in any skill with any class. Also the fighter now gets 4, yes is said it four skills.

Also a new cleaner sheet. Definitely in the right step. Also there is now a black an white specific that will greatly reduce ink.
Micheal Smith

greyblade23
Rookie Field Agent

Post by greyblade23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Hey, Richard,

I'm changing my ABC's for the remaining chapters that don't use our primary characters.

In chapter 3, I've already played a sorcerer, so I'm switching to a Dwarf or Goblin Paladin with the criminal background.

In chapter 5, since we already have a paladin & multi-class cleric, I'm switching to a Gnome Druid (Yeah, it's cliched, but I have 2 sets of Lini & Droogani minis, so I might as well use them :) ) with the Animal Whisperer background (Yay, pet class!).

In chapter 6, it looks like we have a glut of rangers, so I'm switching to a Human Alchemist with the Scholar background. Her job in the Palatine Eye will be researcher.

Thank!
Jim K

Fyre Vyxsin
Society Field Agent
GM Stars: 2

Post by Fyre Vyxsin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Due to the fact that no one wants a seven player table for this, and understandably so, I'll go ahead and drop myself from the group. ~ Hillary
Hillary Slosky

WhiteMane
Regional Venture-Coordinator
Name: O.J. Pinckert
PFS Number: 808
GM Stars: 5
GM Glyphs: 3
GM Novas: 3

Post by WhiteMane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Fyre Vyxsin wrote: Due to the fact that no one wants a seven player table for this, and understandably so, I'll go ahead and drop myself from the group. ~ Hillary
Well, maybe we will see about opening up a third table...
O.J. Pinckert--Regional Venture Coordinator, Great Plains Region
whitemane_1@yahoo.com
PFS #808

Demons run when a good man goes to war...