Denver Comic Con - Inquiry and Introduction

Postings for Conventions and Special Events here.
_ChrisAbbey

Denver Comic Con - Inquiry and Introduction

Post by _ChrisAbbey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 am

Hey, my name is Chris Abbey and I will be heading up this year's efforts for Denver Comic Con 2014. I wanted to open up the flood gates and get some feedback, comments and discussions going about past, current and/or future efforts with gaming at DCC. I am coming on board with a clean slate and I want to try to improve DCC gaming area.

I want to get a feel for the good and bad with 2012 and 2013 show (i.e. layout, programming, space...etc) and how we could improve it (in your opinion). I also would love it if you guys/gals could share your thoughts and ideas on how we as a convention could interact and involve players through out the year versus just during a 3 day show (i.e. Pathfinder 101 type video series, live streaming/live events).

Thanks so much for letting me hijack a thread here, and thank you in advanced for the feedback.

_ChrisAbbey

Re: Denver Comic Con - Inquiry and Introduction

Post by _ChrisAbbey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Alright! I guess I will start! I heard there issues/concerns with intro game spots and their duration? There was also issues of programming before the Con opened.

Cardboard Dragon

Post by Cardboard Dragon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 am

Where will most of the games be play?

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803
GM Stars: 5
GM Glyphs: 1

Post by Russ Brown » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm

I did not attend, but I heard from volunteer GMs last year that there was a huge problem with mustering and getting players to the tables on time. Like players not getting to the table until 30 minutes after the event was supposed to start.
Russ Brown

_ChrisAbbey

Post by _ChrisAbbey » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:22 am

Cardboard Dragon wrote: Where will most of the games be play?
Most of the games will take place in the 700's and this year's layout and programming will give the gaming area alot more foot traffic.
Russ Brown wrote: I did not attend, but I heard from volunteer GMs last year that there was a huge problem with mustering and getting players to the tables on time. Like players not getting to the table until 30 minutes after the event was supposed to start.
I've been hearing that was a problem as well, with the time it takes for each game along with the panel schedules it was hard to get people to dedicate their time. Do you know if player's lateness was due to lines or just getting quality people to play?

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803
GM Stars: 5

Post by Russ Brown » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:05 pm

_ChrisAbbey wrote:
Russ Brown wrote: I did not attend, but I heard from volunteer GMs last year that there was a huge problem with mustering and getting players to the tables on time. Like players not getting to the table until 30 minutes after the event was supposed to start.
I've been hearing that was a problem as well, with the time it takes for each game along with the panel schedules it was hard to get people to dedicate their time. Do you know if player's lateness was due to lines or just getting quality people to play?
I don't know for sure.
Russ Brown

martinblake1415
Newly Confirmed Agent
Name: Martin Blake

Post by martinblake1415 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 pm

I was involved with PFS on all days of the first DCC, but couldn't make it last year - so I'm not sure what happened last year, but the first year was a very much "do it yourself" affair.

The main things that need to be available are: clear signage - where to go to look for a game to join, where to go to muster, where the games will be and the times of each of the games.  Plus, an area where walk-ins can come along and find a game to jump into then-and-there or within the next couple of hours - i.e. a way of taking player bookings on the day.

Then, on the back of that, clearly signposted easy muster.  I know this is very hard with players wandering around, asking questions, not being on time, changing their mind, etc..  All you can really do is try to make it quick and easy.

Chris - Looking forward to working with you for this years DCC!!  :-)

Sior

Post by Sior » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:07 pm

I wasn't there for DCC, but I can share one big flaw with muster for Gen Con this past year. There were poster-board-sized signs listing which scenarios were mustering where. Unfortunately, since multiple scenarios were mustering at once, the words were small and hard to read. Compound that with the fact that everyone was told to muster right smack dab in front of those boards so no one could see without first shoving their way through a crowd. It was horrid and made many people miss the muster or arrive late once everyone had been seating.

Would much suggest that there rather be an individual muster point for an individual game with a sign above 6ft high so everyone can see it over the mob of people, much like I've seen for Genghis and TactiCon. Space-efficient? No. But gets people where they need to be easier I think.

CDragos
Store Coordinator
Name: Christian
PFS Number: 17148
GM Stars: 4

Post by CDragos » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 am

I GM'd PFS at both DCCs. I felt the rpg sections were a very DIY affair as Martin had said. Also, last year I was scheduled to run games on a Saturday. When I arrived an hour before my game, it wasn't listed on the schedule or on the sign in front of the room. I ended up running a beginner scenario that I (luckily) had in my game bag. Not the game I was originally scheduled to run. I'm also glad I had pre-gen PCs for the kids that were ushered to my table but they weren't very interested in my scenario since they were signed up for something else. I was quite disappointed both years but I realize this is more of a computer/video game crowd than a pencil 'n' paper rpg one.
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver

_ChrisAbbey

Post by _ChrisAbbey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!
Martin Blake - VL Denver wrote: I was involved with PFS on all days of the first DCC, but couldn't make it last year - so I'm not sure what happened last year, but the first year was a very much "do it yourself" affair.

The main things that need to be available are: clear signage - where to go to look for a game to join, where to go to muster, where the games will be and the times of each of the games.  Plus, an area where walk-ins can come along and find a game to jump into then-and-there or within the next couple of hours - i.e. a way of taking player bookings on the day.

Then, on the back of that, clearly signposted easy muster.  I know this is very hard with players wandering around, asking questions, not being on time, changing their mind, etc..  All you can really do is try to make it quick and easy.

Chris - Looking forward to working with you for this years DCC!!  :-)

This is a majority of the feedback I have received. The lack of up to date and correct informative resources (i.e. Guidebook (iOS and Android App), Programming, and even signage) caused some issue with scheduling and generating general interest with attendees. Unless you were looking for a specific game it seems our ability to clearly define scheduling caused some issues.
Sior wrote: I wasn't there for DCC, but I can share one big flaw with muster for Gen Con this past year. There were poster-board-sized signs listing which scenarios were mustering where. Unfortunately, since multiple scenarios were mustering at once, the words were small and hard to read. Compound that with the fact that everyone was told to muster right smack dab in front of those boards so no one could see without first shoving their way through a crowd. It was horrid and made many people miss the muster or arrive late once everyone had been seating.

Would much suggest that there rather be an individual muster point for an individual game with a sign above 6ft high so everyone can see it over the mob of people, much like I've seen for Genghis and TactiCon. Space-efficient? No. But gets people where they need to be easier I think.
Thanks for the feedback! Do you think having greeters and also information desk people at the space would have helped? Someone who you could go to to find out information? What about digital displays or other visual resources to help point people in the right direction?
cdragos wrote: I GM'd PFS at both DCCs. I felt the rpg sections were a very DIY affair as Martin had said. Also, last year I was scheduled to run games on a Saturday. When I arrived an hour before my game, it wasn't listed on the schedule or on the sign in front of the room. I ended up running a beginner scenario that I (luckily) had in my game bag. Not the game I was originally scheduled to run. I'm also glad I had pre-gen PCs for the kids that were ushered to my table but they weren't very interested in my scenario since they were signed up for something else. I was quite disappointed both years but I realize this is more of a computer/video game crowd than a pencil 'n' paper rpg one.
Thanks for rolling with the confusion and providing the attendees some alternatives. I'd like to identify best practices in generating buzz in tabletop and the gaming section as a whole. What do you think of setting up a beginner area, full of shorter and easier to jump into type games for the RPG/Tabletop areas? Is this just a logistical nightmare or do you guys see a real gain from offering people who are just "poking their heads in" an opportunity to play something new?