lochinvar_1971
Seeker
Name: Richard Bannister
PFS Number: 160719
GM Stars: 4
GM Glyphs: 4

Doomsday Dawn Playtest Module

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am

So I plan on running the Doomsday Dawn playtest module. It consists of seven different scenarios - three are using the same characters at different levels. The other scenarios have specific requirements for character creation in order to test certain aspects of the game at several different levels. It is highly suggested that this be treated as an adventure path with the same group, however this is only required on first three scenarios. These are not to be the characters utilized for the individual released scenarios that will be periodically released, while the first one does not release until next week - I'm sure it will contain specific character creation rules tailored to test a certain aspect of the game.

That being said, I already have the five people talk to me about running this, which leaves room for a sixth.

I do have one request - while I will be asking you to reference a couple of things in the module (it is a free download in the complete package) I would appreciate it if you do not read into the individual scenarios as they are intended to see how the players react to certain aspects of the scenarios. Oh, and please do not look at the tracking sheet as it contains spoilers.

Note: due to character creation rules for individual scenarios, I will be requesting copies of characters ahead of time to ensure they meet the requirements set forth. I am also open to setting aside a gaming session to build the 5 different characters needed to do the playtest.

There are certain dates before some of these scenarios can be ran.

I will post the scenario character creation requirements soon, but here is the first two to get you thinking.
The first scenario is The Lost Star

Character Creation:

The players should build 1st-level characters using the rules found in the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook. The group should work together to build a diverse party using any of the character options found in the book (subject to the specific restrictions listed below), while creating characters they are eager to see gain power and fame and glory as eventual saviors of Golarion. Avoid choosing the same ancestry and class as the other players. The biggest exception is that they players will be required to pick a background listed on page 3 of the Doomsday Dawn, and not a background from the Playtest Rulebook.

Purchasing Gear:
Each PC will begin with 150 sp each. They can purchase any common gear from Chapter 6 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook, along with any other options gained from class and feat selections.

The second scenario is 'In Pale Mountains Shadow'

Character creation:

Build a level 4 character. Backgrounds are to be taken from pages 38-39 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook. It is recommended that the following languages are taken by at least on PC - Auran, Gnoll, Ancient Osiriani, however they are not required.

Purchasing Gear:

Each character begins with one 3rd level item, two 2nd level items and 300 sp to spend on additional items, taken from all common items of their level or lower or with GM approval. Characters will know each other so they can pool their money.

The people that have expressed interest to me are

Michael
Hillary
Sean
Mark
Jim K
--Richard
--Venture Lieutenant- Colorado Springs, Colorado
PFS # 160719
GM stars:****
GM Glyphs: ****

Enchanted Realms - Colorado Springs

Sir.Gryphon
Seeker
Name: Sir.Gryphon (Randy)
PFS Number: 47387
GM Novas: 1

Re: Doomsday Dawn Playtest Module

Post by Sir.Gryphon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am

Let me know when you'd like to have this scheduled so I can track this for future events. If there are tracking sheets, does that mean that it is some early version of the PF2 organized play?
Pathfinder #47387
Venture Captain for Southern Colorado

GM for the "Lemming Leap" 2017...
Hugger of molten guardians, GalaxyFest 2018

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent
Name: Sir.Bearington
GM Stars: 3

Post by musclecarlover07 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:51 pm

The tracking sheets have nothing to do with Society play. They are for playtesting purposes. I highly recommend if possible to replace the quest for this. It looks like Doomsday has very specific dates. On the playtest site it shows that Part 1 is between August 2nd - August 26. I am not sure what happens if we play this outside the listed dates. It didn't look like the Society Scenarios had really test dates like the doomsday.
Micheal Smith

Fyre Vyxsin
Society Field Agent
GM Stars: 2

Post by Fyre Vyxsin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:18 pm

So...just saying, not that it was in question, but dibs on the rogue.
Hillary Slosky

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I am interested in:
Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean
Halfling Druid with Bear Companion
Dwarf Monk
Micheal Smith

Pippin
Veteran Field Agent

Post by Pippin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 am

I believe Alex had expressed interest on being at the table with us, but I may be mistaken.
I'm still up in the air about character choice. I had originally been thinking cleric (because that's kind of what I do), but with the way the new rules work, druid was also looking appealing. Definitely put me in as undecided and I'll flesh out something eventually and will just work around what others pick if need be.
Sean

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:48 pm

To continue with the character requirements for the rest of the module.

The third scenario is Affair at Sombrefell Hall

LEVEL
Each PC should be 7th level.

BACKGROUNDS
Each player should choose a background from those listed on pages 38-39 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook. Each player should also come up with details on how their characters know each other and serve the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye.

CLASSES
At least two players should create clerics capable of channeling positive energy. All other characters should be of classes capable of healing to some extent, such as bard, druid, paladin, or a sorcerer that uses divine spells.

PURCHASING GEAR
Each character begins with one 6th-level item, two 5th-level items, one 4th-level item, two 3rd-level items, and 125 gp to spend on any additional items. One character in the group also starts with one +2 magic armor of your choice. Allow characters who already know each other to pool their money to buy items.

Scenario 4 is the Mirrored Moon

CREATING CHARACTERS
In this chapter, the players once again take on the roles of Doomsday Dawn's primary characters, advanced to 9th level. The adventure assumes that in the interlude between 'The Last Star' and 'The Mirrored Moon' that these PCs have been on numerous adventures while simultaneously gaining prestige as agents of the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye.

LEVELING UP
The players can make any choices they wish when leveling up from 1st level to 9th level.

PURCHASING GEAR
Each player retains the gear they earned and kept from 'The Lost Star,' but also gains the following: one 8th-level item, two 7th-level items, one 6th-level item, two 5th-level items, and 250 gp to spend on additional items. The PCS can pool their money to buy items.

The fifth scenario is the Hero's of Undarin

CREATING CHARACTERS
The players should build 12th-level characters using the rules found in the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook. These characters should all be crusaders who have signed on to fight demons in the Worldwound. The group should work together to build a balanced and diverse party using any of the available character options. Note that the characters should avoid doubling up on any one ancestry or class if possible.

BACKGROUNDS
Character backgrounds should be chosen from those in the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook.

STARTING WEALTH
Each character starts play with 100 gp. See Allocating Magic Items for available magic items for this part of the adventure.

The sixth scenario is Red Flags

CREATING CHARACTERS
In this adventure, the player characters take the role of high-ranking members of the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye. The players should create a group of 14th-level characters with skill sets that favor infiltration, knowledge, and subtlety rather than aggressive combat prowess.

BACKGROUNDS
Each player should choose a background for their character from those listed on pages 38-39 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook. Each player should also determine what their character's role in the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye is: archivist, diplomat, historian, researcher, spy, or the like. Combat-themed roles should be avoided if possible.

PURCHASING GEAR
Each character begins this chapter with one 13th-level item, two 12th-level items, one 11th-level item, two 10th-level items, and 1,500 gp to spend on any additional items. The characters already know each other, so they can pool their money to buy items. In addition, choose two of the following items to give to the group to distribute as they see fit: anklets of alacrity, belt of giant strength, belt of regeneration, circlet of persuasion, diadem of intellect, headband of inspired wisdom.

The final scenario is When the Stars go Dark

CREATING CHARACTERS
In Doomsday Dawn's final chapter, the players take on the roles of the adventure's primary characters one more time. At the chapter's outset, these PCs should be advanced to 17th level.

LEVELING UP
The players can make any choices they wish when leveling up from 9th level to 17th level.

PURCHASING GEAR
Players retain the gear they earned and kept from 'The Mirrored Moon,' but they also each gain the following: one 16th-level item, two 15th-level items, one 14th-level item, two 13th-level items, and 5,000 gp to spend on additional items. The PCs can pool their money to buy items.
 

Last edited by lochinvar_1971 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Richard
PFS # 160719

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Let me know when you'd like to have this scheduled so I can track this for future events
Do to the limited window they have place on it, I think we need to do it in lieu of the scenario that was scheduled on the 15th. I can run the scenario the first week of September and schedule the next scenario in the module later in September.
--Richard
PFS # 160719

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:03 pm

I've been playing around with a fighte as well. But right now leaning toward a battle cleric.

So I'll probably build all of my ideas with all the above and see what I like the most.
Last edited by musclecarlover07 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micheal Smith

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:09 pm

lochinvar_1971 wrote:
Let me know when you'd like to have this scheduled so I can track this for future events
Do to the limited window they have place on it, I think we need to do it in lieu of the scenario that was scheduled on the 15th. I can run the scenario the first week of September and schedule the next scenario in the module later in September.
This will work from what I see. It looks like the society scenarios are play when you can and Doomsday will be between certain dates.

I am down with the switch on the 15th. Everyone will be there. Just need to expedite what the group is going to be be playing.
Micheal Smith

Pippin
Veteran Field Agent

Post by Pippin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Alright, I've been pondering, perusing, researching, rereading, etc. throughout the day and I think I'm going for a cleric of Sarenrae who is a bit of a blaster caster (with fire powers) and healer. I'm thinking the mind quake survivor background could fit pretty well for this character. Pretty sure she would resonate nicely/easily/well with a battle cleric if you're leaning that way, Michael. She'll be more of a wizardy-type cleric (and I might play with the multiclassing feats to have her actually take some wizard stuff for the 4th and 7th level versions).
Sean

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:21 pm

For the first part then I will drop the Battle Cleric. As it is RECOMMENDED to do DIFFERENT Classes.
lochinvar_1971 wrote:Avoid choosing the same ancestry and class as the other players.
Also the continuation of those are Mirrored Moon and When the Stars go Dark. You will have to create new characters for the others. The building for those scenarios you build off of the previous. The others you build using backgrounds from the Core vs Doomsday. So technically speaking other than those 3 you pretty much build new characters the way Richard posted the build options.
Last edited by musclecarlover07 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micheal Smith

Pippin
Veteran Field Agent

Post by Pippin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Sir.Bearington wrote: For the first part then I will drop the Battle Cleric. As it is RECOMMENDED to do DIFFERENT Classes.
lochinvar_1971 wrote:Avoid choosing the same ancestry and class as the other players.
I would say that the exact phrasing "Avoid choosing the same ancestry and class as the other players" would indicate that playing the same class with a different ancestry and/or in a different way would, in fact, be helpful for feedback. Totally my opinion and interpretation, but it is how they wrote it.
Sean

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Pippin wrote:
Sir.Bearington wrote: For the first part then I will drop the Battle Cleric. As it is RECOMMENDED to do DIFFERENT Classes.
I would say that the exact phrasing "Avoid choosing the same ancestry and class as the other players" would indicate that playing the same class with a different ancestry and/or in a different way would, in fact, be helpful for feedback. Totally my opinion and interpretation, but it is how they wrote it.
I will disagree with that 100%. Having 2 clerics would not be a Diverse group and not a RANGE of character options. I will disagree that the intent is not to build 2 of the same.

Again I will pursue something else for the time being.
Last edited by musclecarlover07 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micheal Smith

Pippin
Veteran Field Agent

Post by Pippin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Sir.Bearington wrote:
Pippin wrote:

I will disagree with that 100%. Having 2 clerics would not be a Diverse group and not a RANGE of character options. I will disagree that the intent is not to build 2 of the same.

Again I will pursue something else for the time being.
Fair enough. Totally respect your opinion on that.
Sean